A summary of our April chat on reading can be found below. A full archive of the chat can be found at
1. How much of your job is about encouraging reading?
- Many librarians, particularly those in higher education, said that they don’t tend to promote reading much in their job although some had small “leisure” collections for students
- Those working in other environments e.g. school libraries did a lot more reader development work
- The question of what “reading” meant in this context was discussed: did it apply to reading on websites for example?
- @jamesatkinson81 said “I don’t really feel I encourage reading, more facilitate it”
2. Do you have any suggestions for how to reach groups who don’t read much?
Suggestions made by several users included:
- More accessible books such as graphic novels, manga, quick reads, non-fiction, film/TV tie-ins were highlighted by many contributors
- Using “non-book” things to…
View original post 1,334 more words